Downtown Sidewalk Planter Program
In Fall 2010, the ODMD, with a grant from the Martin V. and Martha K. Smith Foundation and additional support from cash and in-kind partners, installed 162 large planters featuring beautiful, water-wise plants. ODMD's goal is to create a more attractive Downtown for residents and visitors alike that will become a source of community pride.
- Streetscape beautification through environmentally responsible methods
- Complements the efforts of Downtown property and business owners
- Promotes an attractive environment for pedestrian activities
- Presents an image of a well-maintained district that is safe and welcoming
- Is a vivid example of virtues of drought-tolerant landscaping
Help keep Downtown Green
Your help is needed to maintain the vibrant and green appearance of the Downtown planters. There are two opportunities for assistance:
- "Adopt-a-Planter" with an annual donation of $120, which covers the cost of maintenance by an instructor-led youth gardening corps. Click here for information and an application.
- Volunteer to be a "DOG" - Downtown Oxnard Gardener and enjoy the hands-on experience and commaradrie of actually taking care of the plants. Call 805.385.2705 for more information and an application.