Programs and Results
On a daily basis, we clean the streets, sidewalks, gutters, alleys and parking lots of Downtown Oxnard with our “Clean Team” personnel. Benefits include street sweeping, sidewalk pressure washing, graffiti removal, and other cleaning initiatives.
We jointly operate with the Oxnard Police Department the District Safety Program providing a security presence and hospitality to the District.
The Oxnard Downtown Management District advocates and seeks favorable publicity and partnerships for programs designed to benefit the District.
District Safety Program
• Patrols the PBID daily on foot and bicycle.
• Works closely with the Oxnard Police Department Downtown Storefront Officers.
• Act as community ambassadors by providing visitors with directions and information.
• Help reduce graffiti, call in repair orders on non-operational street lights, and deter loitering and other problem activities.
• Safety Escorts.
• As needed, distributes downtown maps, business directories and event calendars.
• Daily pickup of litter from sidewalks, gutters, alleys and public parking lots.
• Daily mechanical sweeping of sidewalks, alleys and public parking lots.
• Daily inspection/removal of illegal dumping in alleys and public parking lots.
• Provides daily assistance, directions and greetings to shoppers and visitors.
Power Washing Program
• Bi-monthly mechanical scrubbed/steam washing of selected high-traffic sidewalk areas.
• Remaining sidewalk areas are mechanically scrubbed/steam washed annually.
• Additional cleaning may be done as an on needed basis.
• PBID works with the City of Oxnard Parks and Facilities Division and Development Services to identify physical amenities and landscape needs within the PBID.
• Maintain flower baskets at Plaza Park, adding color and character to the Park.
• The PBID funds the Holiday Décor Program bringing color, lights, and entertainment to downtown.
• The Holiday Décor Program exhibits approximately 22,000 blinking lights, 147 - 15 foot natural mountain pine garland, over 160 - 24” structured elegant red and gold bows, and 4 - 50” classic holiday wreaths which adorn downtown during the Holiday Season. In 2008, the program was expanded to East Fifth Street from Oxnard Blvd. to Meta Street.
• The Oxnard Downtown Management District continues to sponsor the beautiful and colorful Winter Fantasy Music & Light Show at the Plaza Park Pagoda. Nine different Christmas songs pulse with over 27,000 lights, 22 Christmas trees, and 18 animated characters. The computer programmed music and light show entertains crowds every evening in December. Check it out at YouTube.com
• The Downtown Window Decorating Contest is sponsored by the Oxnard Downtown Management District. Merchants are encouraged to dress-up their storefronts for the Holidays tying in the program with the Hometown Oxnard Christmas Parade coordinated by the Downtown Oxnard Merchants Association.
• The Holley Trolley Tour has become a big success attracting people from all over the county as well as the Los Angeles area. The Holley Trolley Tour provided an opportunity for the community to see the impressive light displays in downtown both the street decorations and the merchant window displays. The Holley Trolley Tour makes stops at Historic Heritage Square where participants can view historic homes in their full holiday splendor; plus, pick up a warm cup of hot chocolate and sweet Mexican Bread (provided by La Central Bakery in downtown); tour travels past Plaza Park, and on to the Historic District on F & G Street.
Additional PBID Sponsored Events
• Tour de Fork – Taste of Downtown was held on June 4, 2007. The event was designed to educate the frontline people in the hotel and entertainment field. Participants began their tour at the new California Welcome Center and made their way to Downtown Oxnard stopping at Heritage Square, Ruby’s Café, Carnegie Art Museum, Woolworth Building, the Henry T. Oxnard National Historic District and Centennial Plaza. The event culminated with an incredible display of food from fourteen different downtown restaurants ranging from Italian, Mediterranean, Mexican and a blend of many other cultures together.
• Annual Fifth Street Jazz Festival was held on September 2, 2007 bringing a day of classic and Latin Jazz to Downtown Oxnard. Entertainment included: Side Street Strutters – Disneyland’s most enduring and popular jazz ensemble; Nuestro, Latin jazz à la Oxnard is what their known for; Scott Martin Latin Soul Band, best known for his thirteen-year tenure with thePoncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band.
• Plaza Park Summer Concerts in 2005 and 2006 were created and sponsored by the Oxnard Downtown Management District. The free music concerts took place the first Sunday of each month starting in July and ending in October.
• For the second year, the Oxnard Downtown Management District sponsored the beautiful and colorful Winter Fantasy Music & Light Show at the Plaza Park Pagoda. Nine different Christmas songs pulse with over 27,000 lights, 22 Christmas trees, and 12 animated characters.
• The Oxnard Downtown Management District also supports and sponsors other organizations that produce activities, programs and events in downtown. Past grant recipients of the Downtown Event Sponsorship Program include: Oxnard Salsa Festival, Carnegie Art Museum, Elite Theatre Company, Gull Wings Children’s Museum, Teatro de las Americas, Café on A, Autumn Home Tours and the Oxnard Independent Film Festival.
• The Oxnard Public Library, working in conjunction with the Oxnard Downtown Management District, Downtown Oxnard Merchants Association, Gold Coast Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Women’s Economic Ventures, Gold Coast SBDC and the City of Oxnard Community Development Department, developed an education program utilizing a $75,000 Library Services and Technology (L.S.A.T.) Small Business - Program II Grant.
• Small Business Information: $8,000 was been spent on English and Spanish language materials that address the important issues of starting and administering various types of small businesses.
• Databases: The library added three powerful databases that can be accessed from the library, home or place of business: Reference USA, RDS Business Reference Suite and Proquest.
• Business Consulting: Gold Coast SBDC contracted with the library to provide free small business consulting services to existing and new Oxnard businesses. Approximately 70 businesspersons have availed themselves of this service to date.
• The PBID continues to work with the Economic Development Corporation Organization (EDCO) to assist new and existing downtown businesses with the City of Oxnard permit process.
By all measures, the District has made remarkable strides since its formation. Measurable results to date include:
• Reduction in Crime Crime within the PBID boundaries has dropped more than 44% since 2002 when the PBID was formed. The PBID was also instrumental in adding more police officers to the District.
• Downtown Light Program: The Oxnard Downtown Management District staff ensures the PBID District Safety Team, Oxnard Police Department, PBID Clean Team, the City of Oxnard Parks & Facilities Division, Caltrans, and Southern California Edison properly maintain non-operating light fixtures in downtown, keeping areas safe and well-lit for visitors.
• Clean Program: The overall appearance and feel of downtown has significantly changed. Our streets are cleaner and as a result feel safer.
• Marketing & Communication: efforts have attracted more people to downtown!
• Centennial Plaza: Private investment is making an incredible difference in the district. Centennial Plaza movie theatre / restaurant development opened in August 2005, bringing a 14-screen theatre, 16,000 sq. feet of retail (including Starbucks, Cold Stone Creamery, Subway, Capriccios Italian Restaurant, Casa Escobar and 5th Street Steak and Seafood) and a 450-space multi-level parking garage to Downtown Oxnard. Centennial Plaza spurred other eateries to open throughout downtown.
• Budget: The Oxnard Downtown Management District is a five-year Property and Business Improvement District comprised of over 300 property owners who are assessed $520,000 annually to pay for enhanced security, maintenance services, physical amenities and marketing to promote the revitalization of the Downtown Oxnard. About 80% of our total budget goes directly towards “clean and safe” programs and marketing the downtown.